Education

WVSU Walker Convocation Center

Scope

Additions
Renovation

Location

Institute, WV

size

70,000 gsf

awards

AIA WV Merit Award for Achievement in Architecture

Built on the southern end of West Virginia State University’s formal quad, Fleming Hall has long served as the primary venue for indoor athletics in addition to the academic needs of multiple departments since 1941.

In 2010, the West Virginia Economic Development Authority authorized a commitment of $15 million to support the renovation of Fleming Hall and the addition of a new Convocation Center. Coupled with nearly $4 million dollars of university funds and private donations, the new “D. Stephen and Diane H. Walker Convocation Center” opened on March 1, 2014. In addition to having fully renovated classrooms, offices and locker rooms, the project features a new 1,300-seat arena addition for intercollegiate basketball and volleyball, while also serving as the University’s premier space for commencement and convocation ceremonies and other campus-wide gatherings.

The new athletic and convocation center is beautiful, state of the art. It’s going to be a great recruiting tool for our university, not just for the basketball programs. It’s something that our whole community can be proud of.

BRYAN POORE, Head basketball Coach - WVSU