Pendleton County Courthouse Addition

The Pendleton County Courthouse is the county’s fourth courthouse and was built from 1925 to 1927 for a cost of $70,000. It is located at the junction of Walnut and Main Streets in Franklin, West Virginia on a large level lot. The courthouse appears elevated above the street due to its raised foundation and steps up to the massive entrance portico which is supported by six Ionic columns. The courthouse is surrounded by a grassy lawn to the front (east) and left (south) and a town square. The courthouse is within the Franklin Historic District which is essentially the entire downtown area.

With one courtroom serving three courts (circuit, magistrate, and family courts), a two story addition was designed to provide an additional multi-purpose courtroom serving the magistrate and family courts, expand court support space, future prosecuting attorney offices, additional conference & waiting room spaces, and improve building security. The architectural language is responsive to the historic courthouse style and detailing while providing 21st century amenities serving the county’s court system.

Client

Pendleton County Courthouse Addition

Size

9,000 gsf

Category

Justice